Past Continuous Tense Konu Anlatımı
When ve while bağlaçları ile past continuous tense konu anlatımı. Dersimizde ilk olarak past continuous tense cümle yapılarını göreceğiz. Daha sonra bu cümleleri when ve while bağlaçları ile çalışacağız. Son olarak da past continuous tense yapısının reported speech ve conditionals ile kullanımını görerek dersimizi bitireceğiz.
Past Continuous Tense Nedir?
Geçmişte belirli bir aralıkta devam eden eylemleri anlatan zamana past continous tense denir. Bu cümlelerde to be yardımcı fiilinin geçmiş hali olan “was-were” yardımcı fiilerini kullanırız. Ayrıca cümledeki esas fiilin sonuna present participle yani “ing” eklenir. Geçmişte süreklilik ifade bu zamanı çoğunlukla “when” bağlacı ile kullanırız.
Past Continuous Tense Olumlu Cümleler
|Özne + was/were + P. participle||Türkçe Anlamı|
|I was acting on my own||Kendi kendime rol yapıyordum.|
|You were stalking us.||Sen bizi gizlice izliyordun.|
|He was giving them permission||Onlara izin veriyordu.|
|She was breaking the laws||Kanunları çiğniyordu.|
|It was biting itself||Kendini ısırıyordu.|
|We were broadcasting live.||Canlı yayın yapıyorduk.|
|You were hiding behind the bushes.||Çalılıkların arkadasında saklanıyordunuz.|
|They were fighting for justice.||Adalet için savaşıyorlardı.|
Past Continous Tense Soru Cümleleri
|Özne + wasn’t/weren’t+ P. participle||Türkçe Anlamı|
|I wasn’t hitting the right notes.||Doğru notaları vurmuyordum.|
|You weren’t losing anything.||Sen hiçbir şey kaybetmiyordun.|
|He wasn’t lying under oath.||Yemin altında yalan söylemiyordu.|
|She wasn’t cooking for me.||O benim için yemek pişirmiyordu.|
|It wasn’t working anymore||O artık çalışmıyordu.|
|We weren’t leaving the team.||Takımı terk etmiyorduk.|
|You weren’t paying attention.||Dikkat etmiyordunuz.|
|They weren’t selling enough tickets.||Yeteri kadar bilet satmıyorlardı.|
Past Continuous Tense Soru Cümleleri
|Was/were + Özne + P. participle?||Türkçe Anlamı|
|Was I doing right?||Ben doğru yapıyor muydum?|
|Were you listening to us?||Sen bizi dinliyor muydun?|
|Was he hiding something?||O bir şey saklıyor muydu?|
|Was she dancing with you?||O seninle dans ediyor muydu?|
|Was it understanding us?||O bizi anlıyor muydu?|
|Were we disturbing you?||Biz sizi rahatsız ediyor muyduk?|
|Were you speaking to them?||Siz onlarla konuşuyor muydunuz?|
|Were they stealing from the people?||Onlar insanlardan çalışıyorlar mıydı?|
Past continuous tense ve when-while kullanımı
1-Geçmişte belirli bir zamanda devam eden eylemleri anlatmak için kullanırız.
- Last morning at 5 a.m., I was eating breakfast.
- This time last year, I was living in İzmir.
- At midnight, we were still sailing across the Atlantic.
- What were you doing at 7 o’clock last night?
- Yesterday at this time, It was snowing lightly.
- At 7 o’clock last Friday, they passed by you, but you weren’t looking.
- They were playing tennis all yesterday afternoon.
- At five o’clock, they were brandishing guns.
Aşağıdaki özellikleri daha iyi kavrayabilmeniz için basit geçmiş zaman konusuna da hakim olmanız gereklidir. Bu nedenle simple past tense bağlantımıza tıklamanızı tavsiye ediyorum. Kısa bir tekrar yaptıktan sonra 2.maddeye devam edebilirsiniz.
2-Başka bir eylemle kesilen işleri anlatırken kullanabiliriz.
- I was sleeping when they opened the TV ya da;
- While I was sleeping, they opened the TV.
- I was looking when the prices went up to $110 ya da;
- While I was looking, the prices went up to $110.
- When the phone rang, she was cooking in the kitchen ya da;
- The phone rang while she was cooking in the kitchen.
- What were you doing when you were 17?
- You were not listening to her when she asked you to clean your room.
- They were waiting for us when we parachuted into the town.
- While she was waiting at the hospital last night, they called her.
- I was having a terrible nightmare when you stopped the car.
- I was walking around the woods when I met them.
- She was writing an article about Alaska when she got a call from the newspaper.
3- Birbiri ile kesişen eylemleri anlatırken past continuous kullanabilirsiniz
- While Emma was having breakfast, her husband was having a shower.
- She was studying while I was playing with her phone.
- While Joseph was reading a newspaper, Olivia was reading a poem.
- Were you watching me while I was acting on my own?
- What were you doing while I was studying?
- She wasn’t getting any help, and I wasn’t asking either.
- People were hooting, the music was just blaring, and the waiters were serving purple drinks.
4- Öfke, tekrar ve bıkkınlık ifade ederken past continuous tense kullanabiliriz
Bizi sürekli olarak öfkelendiren eden eylemleri sitem ederek ve yakınarak ifade etmek için past continuous tense kullanırız. Bu cümlelerde çoğunlukla “always,” “constantly,” “continuously,” “continually” gibi zarflar kullanırız.
- He was continually reading my emails.
- She was always playing with her phone in the classes.
- He was constantly talking in the library.
- I was continually getting into trouble with the police.
- No one wanted to work with her because she was always complaining.
- He was always complaining about his salary.
- She was always testing me.
- He was always calling me at night to ask me where I was.
- Her mother was always criticizing her in the kitchen.
- They were continually interrupting me right in the middle of whatever I’m trying to say.
Past continuous ile reported speech
|Present continuous ⇒ Past continuous|
|He said, “I am listening to them”||He said that he was listening to them.|
|She explained, “they are working”||She explained that they were working.|
|Harper said, “He is leaving the city”||Harper said that he was leaving the city.|
|Ethan, “The cat is following me”||Ethan remarked that the cat was following him.|
|Thomas, “You are sleeping late”||Thomas mentioned that I was sleeping late.|
|She said, “I am driving”||She said that she was driving.|
Past continuous ile Mixed conditionals
- If I weren’t working at the weekend, I would have joined the trip to Quito. But, unfortunately, I have to work this weekend, so it’s impossible to join the trip with them. I am just dreaming about it.
- If he weren’t taking them to New Jersey I would have invited them. But, they are going to go to New Jersey together. That’s why I didn’t want to invite them.
- If you were living in New York and you’d never heard about this news, then would you still feel that way? The reality is that he lives in New York. So, he eventually heard about the news.
Bu bölüm C1 seviyesi olup daha iyi anlayabilmeniz için subjunctive mood (hypothetical ) konusunu gözden geçirmeniz gerekebilir. Subjuntive mode konu anlatımı yakında grammar index sayfamıza eklenecektir.
- If I were taking this exam next month, I would pass the required licensing exam. But, the reality is that he will not take the exam next month and possibly will not be able to finish preparing in time. We understand that he doesn’t have enough time.
- If she were doing this in public, I would respect her more. Nevertheless, She exactly does something that we don’t want to see. So, we don’t respect her much.
- If it weren’t snowing, we would set out in the afternoon. In reality, it’s snowing and
Nihayet dersimizin sonuna geldik. Umarım sizler için faydalı olmuştur. Past continuous tense konu anlatımı dersimize notlarınızla ya da fikirleriniz ile katkıda bulunmak için iletişime geçebilirsiniz. Konuya eklenmesini istediğiniz, ders sunumunu güçlendirebilecek eksik gördüğünüz detaylar varsa lütfen bunları bildirmekten çekinmeyin.
If you study this lesson from a different source I advise you to follow englishninjas link.