Elegy nedir? Elegy tanımı. Elegy örnekleri. Edebiyatta elegy kullanımı.The elements of an elegy nelerdir? İngiliz edebiyatı terimler sözlüğü sayfasına hoş geldiniz.
Elegy sözlük anlamı
Elegy Türkçe’ de ağıt, mersiye, ağıtlama anlamına gelmektedir.
Elegy terim anlamı
Elegy İngiliz edebiyatında genellikle ölülerin ardından yapılan cenazeler ya da anısına hitaben yazılan şiirlere verilen isimdir.
- The Greek term elegeia originally referred to any verse written couplets that reflect the emotions such as death, love, or war.
- The term also includes epitaphs (mezar yazıtı), sad and mournful songs, and commemorative verses.
- Elegy tells an individual story or a loss
- Elegy aims to express feelings rather than tell a story.
- The elements of an elegy may reflect three stages of loss.
The elements of an elegy
- Lament: Here is the stage when the speaker expresses grief and sorrow,
- Praise: In this stage of the elegy, the poet usually expresses admiration of the loss,
- Consolation: It is the stage when the poet tries to make someone who is sad or disappointed feel better
The first page of Dodsley‘s illustrated edition of Gray’s Elegy with illustration by Richard Bentley
In English literature, the more modern and restricted meaning, of a lament for a departed beloved or tragic event, has been current only since the sixteenth century; the broader concept was still employed by John Donne for his elegies, written in the early seventeenth century.
This looser concept is especially evident in the Old English Exeter Book (circa 1000 CE) which contains “serious meditative” and well-known poems such as “The Wanderer”, “The Seafarer”, and “The Wife’s Lament”. In these elegies, the narrators use the lyrical “I” to describe their own personal and mournful experiences.They tell the story of the individual rather than the collective lore of his or her people as epic poetry seeks to tell. For Samuel Taylor Coleridge and others, the term had come to mean “serious meditative poem”
An elegy is a form of poetry natural to the reflective mind. It may treat any subject, but it must treat of no subject for itself, but always and exclusively with reference to the poet. As he will feel regret for the past or desire for the future, so sorrow and love became the principal themes of the elegy. Elegy presents everything as lost and gone or absent and future.
Bu terimden sonra araştırmak isteyebileceğiniz başka bir yazı > Runes nedir?